Six Tips for a Successful Virtual Coffee
Though cafes, campuses and offices are closed for the time being digital coffee meetings can provide all the same benefits as the in-person experience. Especially in a challenging job market, building a strong network is more important than ever. Here are a few ways to get the same value while still practicing strong social distancing.
1. Show up prepared: Just as you would do your homework before a face-to-face meeting, it’s important to come prepared to a digital meeting as well. Start by setting specific goals.
2. Offer your full attention: Though you’re likely in a more distracting environment it’s important to put your phone away and close any distracting tabs—especially social media and messaging application—before initiating a virtual meeting.
3. Dress appropriately: Just because you can spend the whole day in your pyjamas doesn’t mean you should. In fact, experts recommend dressing up for phone interviews, even when the other person can’t see you, in order to get into a more professional mindset.
4. Mind the background: If you’re providing others with a window into your self-isolated world it’s important to tidy up accordingly. A messy background can be a distraction, or reflect poorly on your organizational skills, so be sure to clean up before joining a video chat.
5. Prepare for awkwardness: Let’s be honest, there’s probably going to be a few technical glitches and hiccups during these digital interactions, and that’s totally okay. Instead of panicking when a call cuts out or a video lags you should go into the conversation knowing there may be some awkward moments, and know that it’s okay to laugh it off.
6. Don’t forget the coffee! Just because you can’t sit down at a café doesn’t mean you shouldn’t prepare a hot beverage. Pour yourself a cup of Joe, hot chocolate, tea, or even mix up a latte to maintain a cozy feel. Just holding a hot beverage can make you feel happier and come off as nicer, according to researchers at Yale, so don’t be afraid to take your virtual coffee date literally.